Thursday, August 16, 2018

Welcome to 182

August 18, 2018


Dear Walker/DeGiulio Parents,


Welcome to 6th Grade at Skokie School! My name is Tip Walker and I will be your
child’s LanguageArts, and Social Studies teacher. Together, we will continue our
growth in Winnetka’s community of learners. We will dive into ancient civilizations
to improve our analytical skills, experience a variety of reading genres to increase
our comprehension and hone our writing skills to be effective communicators. This
will be an exciting year of creativity, exploration, and empowerment, both academically and emotionally for your child.

First, a little bit about me. This is my fourth year at Skokie School. I earned my
bachelor degree from Princeton University with a major in English and a minor
in history and a master’s degree in teaching from National-Louis University with
endorsements in Middle School, Language Arts (highly qualified) and Social Studies
(highly qualified). I recently became a certified Apple Teacher and earned a certificate
in teaching writing from Columbia University in New York. I love combining language
arts, history and technology in a creative and engaging manner. I live in Wilmette with
my husband. We have four sons – the oldest works in Washington DC, the middle
two are in college and the youngest attends New Trier High School.

I believe that 6th grade is an important transitional year for our students. They are
developing their skills both as a student and as a member of a community.  We will
work hard by immersing ourselves in our studies, but have fun along the way. My goal
is to foster their uniqueness and model intelligence, curiosity and a passion for learning.

I also believe parents are an integral part of their child’s education. I send a weekly
roundup, but am always available for a check-in!  Please do not hesitate to email
me at tipwalker@winnetka36.org (my best way of contact) if you have a concern or
question. If there is another email that should be included on my contact list, please
let me know. I also have text messaging through Remind from which I will send updates
about events and homework.  Please text @84a32h (Walker Advisory) or
@9c24cc (DeGiulio Advisory) to the number 81010 to enroll.

I am looking forward to a fantastic year!

No comments:

Post a Comment